Quick Coconut Curry Chicken
Chef de Cuisine, Benne on Eagle
- 2 tablespoons curry spice powder
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil such as grapeseed or vegetable
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet peppers, sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 lemon – juiced and seeds removed
- 1 head broccoli, blanched or 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup leftover chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Handful of torn mint and cilantro (optional)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven on a medium temperature, add curry spice and grapeseed oil. Stir continuously for a couple of minutes until aromatic.
- Add onion, peppers and carrots to pan; sauté until onions become translucent (about 8 minutes); then add lemon juice, scraping the brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (broccoli, coconut milk, chicken, salt). Allow curry to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve over potatoes, rice or noodles. Garnish with torn herbs (optional).
- Curry spice powder substitute: 2 teaspoons allspice, 2 teaspoons turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Sweet peppers can be substituted with any peppers: bell peppers, poblano, anaheim
- Chicken can be substituted with tofu or vegetables or another protein of your choice
- To blanche broccoli, drop for 30 seconds in boiling water, then move to ice water